Why You Want to File a CG-1270 Form

Why You Want to File a CG-1270 Form

Owning a boat can be one of the greatest experiences of your life. Your own vessel can give you the chance to travel the waters, take dream vacations, and go fishing in areas you have never been before or give you the chance to operate your own business on the waters. When you invest in a large vessel of your own, you are also going to want to consider getting proper documentation from the United States Coast Guard (USCG). While documentation is not always a mandatory thing, there are reasons why you want to file a CG-1270 form with the USCG.

Understanding about Documentation

Vessel documentation is a national registry for boats and vessels in the United States. This documentation provides evidence to others what the nationality of your vessel is. This distinction can be important to you if you take your boat out to international waters or travel to other locations. Documentation also can be very helpful to you when it comes to financing your ship. Many financial institutions today will give preference when you are trying to secure a loan or mortgage if your vessel has the appropriate government documentation already.

The Importance of United States Coast Guard Documentation

The Requirements of Documentation

Not all vessels are legally required to get documented by the Coast Guard. There is a legal requirement to file a CG-1270 if your vessel does measure at least five net tons. Vessels that are used for commercial or trade purposes are also required to get documentation, no matter what size boat is used. There are different types of documentation, so you want to be sure that you get the proper documentation for your vessel so that you can be sure you are operating with the correct endorsement. Any vessel can be used for recreational purposes, but only properly documented vessels for things like fishery or registry are allowed to perform those functions with documentation.

How to Get Documentation

If you need assistance with form CG-1270 so you can be sure that it is filled out correctly and filed the right way, then you want to turn to us at U.S. Vessel Documentation. We are a third party service provider that can help you with the documentation process with the Coast Guard to make sure you file the right paperwork. You can learn more about the services that we can provide for you by visiting our website. Take steps to get the documentation you need for your vessel so you can be sure everything is done properly.