File a Notice of Claim of Lien

When to File a Notice of Claim of Lien

In any industry, when you perform work for a particular client you expect to be paid for the work that you do. If for some reason, the client does not pay you for the work done, you have certain legal channels that you can go through to try and recoup the money that is owed to you. The process can be lengthy and confusing, and you probably want to have legal counsel to make sure it is done right. In the maritime world, there are resources available to you that can help you to force the hand of a boat owner that has been lax in paying you what you are owed. There are certain things you should know to help you figure out when to file a notice of claim of lien that can be useful to you to get action.

Circumstances for Filing a Claim | When to File a Notice of Claim of Lien

There can be different reasons for filing this type of claim. It may be that you have performed repair work on a particular vessel and are owed payment for the work done. Perhaps you supplied products or supplies for a vessel and had invoiced for payment many times but have never been paid. It may be that your property or your vessel was damaged as the result of an accident with another vessel and that vessel is responsible for the damages. In any of those situations, since the situation is maritime in nature, you can file a claim of lien.

How to File a Claim

There are certain restrictions and a process you must follow in order to file a notice of claim of lien. Regulations are set forth by the U.S. Coast Guard and the vessel that you are filing the lien against must be a documented vessel with the Coast Guard. While there is no standard form that you must fill out in order to file the claim, there is an accepted format that must be used for the filing when you send it to the Coast Guard. You must do everything correctly if you hope for the claim to be accepted and the lien placed against the vessel.

Get the Claim Done Correctly

If you intend to file a notice of claim of lien and are not sure how to go about it, we at U.S. Vessel Documentation can be a help to you. We are an outside agency that files documentation and paperwork with the Coast Guard and can assist you with this service, so the claim is filed correctly.